Wednesday 3 August 2011

white-crested laughing thrush

On Saturday morning, whilst I was potting around in the garden, I heard a very distinctive call from a flock of birds. At first, I couldn't see the birds but about a minute later, I saw 3 brown birds with whitish head and breast perching on the branch of the red bottlebrush tree (Callistemon viminalis) which is growing as a wayside tree outside my place. At the time, I didn't know what it was but after searching on the internet and my brand new 'New Holland Field Guide to the Birds of Southeast Asia', I came to know that the birds I saw were the White-Crested Laughing Thrush (Garrulax leucolophus).

Apparently these are fairly common in Singapore and it's range extends across South-East Asia right up to Mynanmar. Quite a few people in SIngapore have blogged about it and The NSS' Bird Ecology Study Group has quite a few write-ups about this species. These can be found here here .

One of the most distinctive features of this bird is, as its namesake suggest, is it's laugh. I managed to find a very good clip on youtube showing the distinctive call.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks you for your interest on birds

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY NICE BIRD. WOULD LOVE TO BUY IT

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is your budget and how many do you wish to buy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Russel Do you have an e-mail? I'd like to contact you about using this photo!

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete